Subject: Re: Booing!
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 18:31:50 -0500

Although I’ve always resisted the (frequent) temptation to boo, I generally feel smug satisfaction that others give in to it.

Over the years, roughly post-1965 or so, we in Chicago have had a lot to boo about. Conducting, especially, has been booable (is that a word) with the 40 year reign of Bruno Bartoletti as resident time-beater. I’ve railed about him often in the past. His performances were basically a progression of notes with very little feeling for the music or drama of the operas. As I said, I don’t boo, but I do remember a feeling of satisfaction leaving after a performance and hearing others in the theatre hoot at him. My preferred epithet, had I been so inclined, would have been to shout “Carnefice!”

We were also subjected to endless appearances by Catherine Malfitano, a perfectly adequate soprano when she stuck to her Fach, but who decided that she was a dramatic soprano and screeched her way through Salome, Lady Macbeth, Lulu, Senta and Lulu.

There were others, but the above-mentioned were my main bugaboos.

And then there was the time someone yelled out “Assassino!” as Tucker finished “E lucevan le stelle.”

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> There are no objective standards that might determine when it is
> "ok" to boo, but there are are, as well, no objective standards to
> tell us when it is "ok" to applaud. As long as people have the right
> to express approval through applause, confetti, floral displays and,
> it is equally their right to express their disapproval by whistles (Italy
> especially) booing or.....

"The greatest obstacle to discovering the shape of the earth, the continents, and the oceans was not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, professor, attorney, and writer (1914-2004)