Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:53:29 -0400

I don't boo. I would rather simply not applaud.

I saw a quite enjoyable performance of Tosca in Boston a few weeks ago, which was
marred by a horrible and inane "alternative fact" ending in the staging. Oh, I wanted to
boo so badly as Tosca oh-so-conveniently found a gun and shot herself, flopping
backwards over Mario's body on the ground in an unforgivable bit of (what I saw as) truly
comic slapstick.

But I didn't.

I held my applause until the singers came out for their bows - they deserved the applause
wholeheartedly. I likewise applauded the conductor and orchestra for their fine work. I sat
on my hands otherwise, and did not stand for the de facto standing o. I left with a
figurative bad taste in my mouth - for all the good musicianship in the performance, I
truly felt cheated by the cheap ending.

But I didn't boo. I just don't believe in that. I'll boo at a bad play at a Sox game, but I
don't boo at theatre or opera. I personally think it's rude and that it really DOESN'T do
anything other than get looks from the audience around you. (I tend to think most so-
called "innovative" productions *expect* the production staff to be booed anyway - it's no
more meaningful than a meaningless standing O.)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:24:24 +0000, tom ponti <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I see nothing wrong with booing a hideous production's designer or director. As for
singers I would usually never boo a singer for having a bad night or not beigh really right
for a role. I confess though that I did boo a singer just one time. The singer was, of all
people, Corelli. It was not because he was having an off night in Wherter but because to
cover his vocal problems he started shouting, which I thought very unprofessional for a
great tenor especially because he also resorted to over acting in such a way as to upstage
Crespin, who was wonderful as Charlotte.  That was the only time I ever booed any singer
and I am happy to say that I had good reason to cheer Corelli, many times.

>________________________________
behalf of Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
>Sent: Friday, October 27, 2017 4:53 PM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [OPERA-L] Booing at the Met
>
>I totally despise the Met current Rigoletto and Traviata. I would not pay to see them.
But I don't boo at a performance. It's not the singers' fault in most cases and it seems
very lowbrow and coarse to me. What I would do if I'm very chagrined is write to the
company putting on such atrocities and not buy a ticket to see whatever they stage. It's
too much of a gamble. I love opera but when it's made into a farce, I stay home. I also
hate the Met's Manon and the cliché of all the chorus is clothed in black suits , And also
productions with a lot of empty chairs. Why can't companies trust the power of the music
when doing opera and not go awry with staging. décor. costumes and whatever ruins the
experience for the paying customers?

0/c0.7.200.200/p200x200/1513171_10152077311791630_1299212939526826837_n.jpg
?oh=7ac6e1f2410dff9d93214736cecb8ed1&oe=5A634042]

related topics. To subscribe, go to: http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html