Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 17:18:56 -0400

My booing credo:
I find it abhorrent and cruel that anyone boo a singer for having a bad
performance.  The singers don't do it on purpose because they adore being
booed at curtain call time.  They try their best and if they are either ill or
not fit for the part, it is the fault of the director in the first place and not
the singer.  If a singer is ill, the director needs to make an announcement
that the singer is indisposed.

On the other hand, I strongly support those who are insulted by the
hubristic directors who think they know more than the composer and
librettist, and I relish all the booing and rotten tomato throwing they can
get.  They are destructive and disruptive and wholly deserve the audience's
disapproval.