Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:53:53 -0400

I totally despise the Met current Rigoletto and Traviata. I would not pay to see them. But I don't boo at a performance. It's not the singers' fault in most cases and it seems very lowbrow and coarse to me. What I would do if I'm very chagrined is write to the company putting on such atrocities and not buy a ticket to see whatever they stage. It's too much of a gamble. I love opera but when it's made into a farce, I stay home. I also hate the Met's Manon and the cliché of all the chorus is clothed in black suits , And also productions with a lot of empty chairs. Why can't companies trust the power of the music when doing opera and not go awry with staging. décor. costumes and whatever ruins the experience for the paying customers?