Subject: Re: Booing at the Met
From: Michael Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:28:07 -0400

How exactly are companies to know what pleases and what does not please the
audience? There is a dearth of music criticism nowadays in newspapers and
magazines.Yes, we can vote with our feet and not return to a revival, to be
sure, but I think booing has a place in the opera house.

If, for instance, you hire a conductor because he was a great tenor and
allow him to conduct a rep standard which he makes a hash of, then he and
the house deserve to hear it.  Or you stage and cast a series of Verdi
operas so poorly that they merit booing.....

I have heard booing in most of the opera houses I have attended here and
abroad and in most cases, what was going on on stage merited the response.

Mike