Subject: Re: exterminating angel prima anyone?
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:11:59 -0400

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 11:19 AM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  But for those of us that want to willingly go on an intriguing, surprising, ever-
> shifting, often beautiful, often humorous/ironic, often dramatically moving rollercoaster
> ride of a musical psychodrama - enjoy it!! I sure did!

I concur with Jon Goldbergs assessment, as I listened to last nights performance on Sirius.  Ades follows the film quite closely, while adding poems sparingly, mostly for arias.  I was quite impressed with how well the running river of sound from the orchestra treats the emotional imagery of the story.  The instrumentation is large, varied and imaginative and reflects the undercurrent of anguish, lethargy and impending doom of the characters with uncanny skill.
The singers and chorus performed the acrobatic, virtuostic roles with aplomb.
I look forward to seeing the live transmission of the production on November 18.

Ron Magnuson
Modify your settings: