Subject: Re: The Ponnelle "Dutchman" 1979 and booing
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 27 Oct 2017 13:35:17 -0400

What you describe here sounds like the current production, the one that
seems to take place in midwinter, and what you took for confetti may
have been meant as falling snow.  I saw the premiere and I thought it was in
the late 80s or early 90s.  I didn't like the frosty concept nor what looked
like a trick or treat night either, but was that Ponnelle, or was he
responsible
for the previous "Steersman's Dream", which I chose not to see after reading
the mostly negative reviews, and which was sandwiched somewhere in between
the old 1950 staging, and the current one?

dtmk