Subject: Booing at the Met
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:57:26 -0400

recall a rather vociferous booing at the prima of Mary Zimmermans “Sonnambula”
production.  I remember quite a few list members taking Margaret Juntwait, (may she rest
in peace) and Will Berger to task for waiting so long (literally less than about 30 seconds) to
acknowledge that not everyone in the house was pleased with what they saw.

The Bondy "Tosca" (which I enjoyed) had some of the loudest booing I can recall hearing
from the Met.  I remember at the HD presentation an elderly gentleman saying how much
he enjoyed seeing it, but “my goodness gracious, from that audience reaction the other
night, you would’ve thought they had set it on Mars.”

After several successes in other roles, Alexandra de Shorties, unwisely (but at the urging of
the Maestro) took on Konstanze in "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" and while the last
strains of "Martern aller Arten" were still echoing, one lone voice began booing, cackling at
her rattling the artist to the point friends told me she was visibly shaken and it affected the
rest of her performance.

The most recent booing incident I can recall was during the prima of the new
"Rosenkavalier" this season.  I was listening on Sirius and was STUNNED by the sound of
what seemed to be an angry mob!

The most unsettling booing I can recall was at the Met prima of Glass’ "Satyagraha."  The
long evening held many, like me, enthralled and transported.  As the voice of Richard Croft
and the orchestra faded off from some of the most gently beautiful final bars in all of opera,
a group, who’d clearly waited all night for this moment began screaming “BOOOOOO!” at
the top of their lungs.  The effect was was jarring and I, and several thousand others who
hadn't even begun applauding were all taken by surprise.   It didn't ruin the evening - it
couldn't - but it did jolt us all out of the effect Glass and the Company had taken hours to
achieve.  Shame on those dolts!

p.