Subject: Re: The Ponnelle "Dutchman" 1979 and booing
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Oct 2017 20:36:46 -0500

Leave it to Bob to come up with an apt choice of words. “Garbage for innovation’s sake” hits the nail right smack on the head. Bravo!, Bob.

And, since this is already my second post today, I’ll combine it with another comment on the booing thread. Lyric Opera’s 1988 “Tannhäuser” was an early example of the company’s succumbing to this trashy trend and the audience had the good sense to hoot at Peter Sellars and his production team during the curtain calls. It was stupid enough to place the Venus scene in a cheap motel in Las Vegas and the last act at the United Airlines terminal at O’Hare. But turning Tannhäuser into a Protestant and having him depart to Rome for a papal audience put a strain on our credibility big time.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 6:09 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I do think it was the first time that
> Met audiences were confronted with garbage for innovation’s sake…

"Skepticism, though unnatural, is a virtue." - Bob Carroll, The Skeptic's Dictionary