Subject: Re: The Ponnelle "Dutchman" 1979
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Oct 2017 23:09:51 +0000

I was a the Met premier of that production, and though Neblett and Van
Dam sang gloriously, nothing could save it. When Van Dam proudly
opened his coat, and like a huckster off the back of a truck, showed his
cache of "valuables", baubles bangles and beads, I thought I was losing my
mind. It remains among my least favorite Met memories but it was soundly
booed, which gave me some comfort. I do think it was the first time that
Met audiences were confronted with garbage for innovation's sake, and
it's been basically downhill for nearly forty years. What a legacy!

Bob