Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: Rudi Van den Bulck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Oct 2017 21:07:07 +0200

MAX wrote:

Dallas Civic Opera did S&D for the first time in 1964, with Del Monaco and
Gorr.  There were
problems at the final dress rehearsal.  Ronald Davis, in his book on the
DCO, writes:
"Shortly after arriving in Dallas, Del Monaco went out to Nieman-Marcus and
bought a black
cowboy suit - boots, hat, everything.  Rather than appearing in costume at
the second dress
rehearsal, he wore his cowboy outfit.  When the tenor talked onstage, during
Gorr's big aria,
the diva stopped singing, walked to the front of the stage, and said
'Maestro, why do I have
to put up with that?'  The handful of people sitting in the audience
applauded, causing Del
Monaco to walk off the stage and refuse to come back.  Kelly went backstage
to try to
reason with Del Monaco, but it took a promise to redo the tenor's dressing
room before he
was appeased."  There is a famous tape of Gorr's angry outburst and of
people applauding.

For the record :

1. 'Maestro, why do I have to put up with that?'

Rita Gorr didn't speak any English besides hello, good bye and thank you, so
that phrase is very unlikely to have come out of her mouth

2. The handful of people sitting in the audience applauded.  1. It's not
clear at all this was an outburst against MDM but it could well have been 2.
speaking from memory : the tape I heard (very bad and unclear sound)
doesn't make this clear, I heard some applause by a few people

3. Gorr had sung Samson on a few occasions before and they got along very
well. In fact Gorr always raved about him (told to me by a personal friend)
so I can't imagine they had a fight, though Vickers was her number one.
Gorr also told him she was number one for the second Callas Norma recording
and that a Troyens was planned with her (tenor Gedda) I forgot why these
plans fell out.

RvdB