Subject: Re: Butterfly: Moffo's Film Version
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Oct 2017 08:51:32 -0400

Thanks, Ulrik!  I didn’t mean to imply I thought of 54 as old – I’m past there myself – but
that Mr. Poli, while both sounding and acting wonderful, seemed a bit past that age,
prompting my remark.  The link below ere has a small photo of his Sharpless from the film.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KWcLMnbToU4/hqdefault.jpg

I think mid to late 50’s is probably where Sharpless is age wise and, he, as that TV
insurance ad says, “knows a thing or two because he’s seen a thing or two.”  It is a
wonderful performance of a wonderful role.

Barring some of the singing from Mr. Cioni, this truly is a remarkably lovely film.

Best regards,

p.

* * * * * *

[log in to unmask] wrote
Dear Mr Padillo,
Thanks for your lovely remembrance of the Butterfly film with a young Ms Moffo.
One question, though:
I am not familiar with the film but you refer to Ms Moffo being 24 years. Thus, the movie
must be from 1956 or so. Mr Poli was born in 1902, making him 54 years old at the time,
And, yet, you write: "Afro Poli offers a thoughtful, old school Sharpless, a bit older than
usual, but richly voiced, pointing up all of his music with an actor’s attention."

I was wondering about the "older than usual" part as I do not see anything strange in
Consul Sharpless being a man of middle age. He is somewhat fatherly - and  I assume
several singers have done Sharpless when in their 50s. So I wonder what age you think is
the normal for Sharpless? And why?

Thanks.

Kind regards
Ulrik