Subject: Re: Butterfly: Moffo's Film Version
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Oct 2017 02:52:47 -0400

Dear Mr Padillo,

Thanks for your lovely remembrance of the Butterfly film with a young Ms Moffo.

One question, though:

I am not familiar with the film but you refer to Ms Moffo being 24 years. Thus, the movie
must be from 1956 or so. Mr Poli was born in 1902, making him 54 years old at the time,
And, yet, you write: "Afro Poli offers a thoughtful, old school Sharpless, a bit older than usual,
but richly voiced, pointing up all of his music with an actor’s attention."

I was wondering about the "older than usual" part as I do not see anything strange in Consul
Sharpless being a man of middle age. He is somewhat fatherly - and  I assume several
singers have done Sharpless when in their 50s. So I wonder what age you think is the normal
for Sharpless? And why?

Thanks.

Kind regards
Ulrik