Subject: Re: Paul Grove, A query
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Oct 2017 20:35:59 -0700

Paul Groves is 52 - born 1964.  That's hardly an age to be put out to
pasture.  YouTube him and try to find something recent or look up recent
reviews.  As for Shicoff, caveat emptor.  He is 68, two years ago he was 66
- generally past the sell by date for a tenor, especially one with so long
and glorious a career.  He started in his early 20's.  There is a reason
singers retire.

I would have no hesitation going to hear Groves.  His voice has matured and
darkened over the years but the last thing I heard with him - a few years
ago - was very good.He is singing Danilo in Die Lustige Witwe at the Met in
a few months.  This past year he did Faust in New Orleans and recently did
Britten's War Requiem.  I wouldn't worry.

Donald