Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 22 Oct 2017 14:26:21 -0400

Gordon Young wrote:

"With last nights performance [of Samson et Dalila] this opera may go into my pile (it’s a
small pile) of never again operas. I am curious to know what others think of Saint-Saens
“masterpiece” (?)."

Not one of my favorites, either.  But with great singers - which you did not have, obviously -
and a fine conductor who does more than beat time, and a good staging, it can make an
effect.  If the tenor is not first rate, you might as well not go because it will be a waste of
time.

Dallas Civic Opera did S&D for the first time in 1964, with Del Monaco and Gorr.  There were