Subject: Freni - Madama Butterfly - which one?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 24 Oct 2017 22:21:45 +0000

Bill

I have no equivocation about picking the earlier recording with
Pavarotti. They were both in glorious voice, and if voice is your
prime consideration, Freni is a "contendah".

I see Cio Cio San as one of the few roles that can never work
unless she is portrayed completely as a creation who evolves
from the complexity of her personal burden.

Scotto bridged both the musical and dramatic demands of the
role as has no other in my experience. Moffo, Callas and Albanese
are also successful in definng the role as both music and theater.

If you are detemined to have one performance that features a
gorgeous voice in full flow, go for Leontyne Price, the most
stunning tone I've ever heard in this music. Tebaldi's first woud
be a close second.

Freni would not be my first choice, either way, but the voice is
ravishing, more on the first than the second.

Bob