Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Oct 2017 23:33:01 -0400

Paolo Ferraro wrote:

"THE live performance of S&D to search for (IF available in at least decent sound) is a
1964(?) Met tour from Cleveland w/Vickers & Simionato.  Thus far, it is as elusive as
Rysanek's Turandot & the Callas/Bjoerling Trovatore (drat)."

I think you are referring to a tour performance in Detroit, not Cleveland.  I have a copy and it
is in rather mediocre in-house sound, but the performance is exciting.  This performance was,
I think, Simionato's last in the U.S.  She sings in Italian while the rest sing in French!

There is a great picture of Simionato as Dalila, in her biography, in which she is wearing a
kind of slinky formal evening dress with high-heeled shoes and a slit up the leg!  Apparently
Dalila was a real style setter.

MDW