Subject: Norma: Post Radvanovsky
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Oct 2017 19:20:37 -0400

Did anyone on the list hear / see Marina Rebeka's "Norma" at the MET?

I'm listening to the recording of her Sirius broadcast and while admiring
her proficiency and diligence she's Black and White / Mono compared to
Radvanovsky's 3D / Technicolor / Living Stereo.  Rebeka seems an
"efficient" talent in a role that demands "efficiency" as its *minimal
*requirement to
make it even approach the technical if not emotional challenges Bellini
wrote into it.  To my ears she qualifies as "Honorable Mention" along with
June Anderson, Elizabeth Connell, and Rosalind Plowright among the many
"also ran" "Norma's" I've heard.  Despite my in house outings with
Sutherland, Caballe, Scotto, Verrett (Norma & Adalgisa) Radvanovsky is the
only one who truly bears comparison with the "C" word - which of course
connects directly to the "P" (Pasta) word...

I'll be curious to hear what Meade does with it, though based on in house
experiences of her Elvira (Ernani) and Leonora (Trovatore) I'm expecting a
reasonably voiced, agile but vibrato ridden interpretatively inert
assumption that bears little resemblance to the enormous history this role
implies.  I hope she surprises me and proves me wrong...