Subject: Re: Alain Letort gift
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:47:28 -0400

Thank you very much, Ariane, for your very kind words.  I’m glad you enjoyed the video.

Since we are only allowed two posts a day, I am taking this opportunity to say for the
record that I, for one, thoroughly appreciate a good performance of “Samson et Dalila.”  Not
*all* the music is wonderful, to be sure, nor is it at all times attention-gripping (there are
indeed some “longueurs”), but there is enough truly wonderful music in it to sustain the
interest, or at least mine.  And I always enjoy the Bacchanale and the collapse of the
temple, when well done it is very effective indeed.  I remember one performance in
particular at the Paris Opéra in 1975 where said collapse was extremely realistic and even
frightening.  In fact, the entire production was beautifully staged.  I took a Belgian friend
and grad school classmate, who was visiting Paris on business, to see it and she was
awestruck.  The excellent cast included Fiorenza Cossotto (D.), Guy Chauvet (S.), Robert
Massard (The High Priest), Joseph Rouleau (Abimelech), and Jules Bastin (The Elderly
Hebrew).  Georges Prêtre conducted.  The staging was by Piero Faggioni and the sets and
costumes were designed by Jacques Dupont.

Of all the S&Ds that I have seen, that was the most memorable.  The date was 18
November 1975.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
Des Ungeheuers Höhle

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:30:42 -0400, Ariane Csonka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Just a thank you to Alain Letort for posting the link to Orange tv interview with Jonas
Kaufmann.  It was such a joy, informative and ineffably charming - one of the exemplary
reasons that those of us who despise the cat fights that pop up too frequently still are
grateful that the List exists.
>So...to Bob and the many who take the time to share their knowledge and experiences so
generously, a heartfelt thank you!