Subject: Re: Dallas Samson and Dalila
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 23 Oct 2017 07:25:47 -0700

Well, count me squarely in the Samson et Dalila corner.  My first exposure
was at the Met a half century or so ago with Grace Bumbry and Richard
Tucker.  My favorite recordings remain Gorr/Vickers and Ludwig/King (Ludwig
just sings so gloriously pouring forth that gorgeous voice of hers).  I
could live without the bacchanale but (or at least, have a shortened
version) but the naked withering bodies in some productions can be
amusing.  For me, the part that sags is the last act - at least from the
end of Voix ma misere until he brings the house down.  The opening of the
first act is sublime and the spell continues until the curtain drops.  The
2nd act is a gem also.

Donald