Subject: Re: Krauss 1953 Bayreuth Ring - Which Release?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:21:29 -0500

I've been pretty amazed at what Pristine has done with their operatic recordings.  I own quite a few of them and I'm happy with all of them.  Or perhaps I happened to acquire the best ones (I don't really know).  The Furtwangler/Flagstad Tristan from 1952 sounds fabulous, as does the 1942 Walter/Flagstad Fidelio.  Most amazingly, I can't believe what they've done with the 1950 Furtwangler/Flagstad Ring Cycle.  The few Italian Met opera broadcasts they've released (the 1940 Milanov/Bjoerling Ballo & the 1954 Milanov/del Monaco/Warren "Chenier") are equally as impressive.  Yes, they're more money, but I find these editions to be the best I've ever heard.  Also the 1961 Nilsson/Corelli/Moffo "Turandot".

     Unfortunately, they don't release the operas all that frequently.  I'm hoping for an Albanese Butterfly (either the 1940 or the 1946 broadcast, the 1946 Milanov/Tucker "Gioconda", and hopefully the 1952 Flagstad Alceste.

     I find Pristine far and away the best at what they do, but then others may feel differently.