Subject: Re: Krauss 1953 Bayreuth Ring - Which Release?
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:48:16 -0400

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 15:19:44 -0400, Max D. Winter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have not heard the Opera d'Oro or Archipel editions, but based on my experience with
>those two labels, I would avoid them, the former in particular.  (Yes, Opera d'Oro is
cheap,
>but frequently you get what you pay for.)

Most of the time, that's true, but it's not the case for this particular recording.

I've owned this in several incarnations over the years.  The best sound is the official Orfeo
release.  No, it's not cheap, but MDT has the Orfeo label on sale about once a year, which is
when I bought my copy.

Surprisingly, the Opera d'Oro sounds quite good, and the set is much better produced
physically than their usual shoddy product; the currently available edition even includes
libretti:

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Nibelungen-Wagner/product-reviews/B00BGL3FYU

Still, I'd spend the extra money and buy the Orfeo - this is an important enough RING
recording that it deserves the best possible sound restoration.

I don't own the Pristine version, and only know the samples that are on their site.  I think
that the "ambient stereo" sounds fake, because it is - it's adding something to the original
that wasn't there.  IMO, certainly not worth the rather steep prices that they charge.

Bill