Subject: Jonas Kaufmann on French TV
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 20:20:19 -0400

Dear Listers,

Those of you who understand French may be interested in viewing the full video of Jonas
Kaufmann’s appearance on the popular French TV talk show “On n’est pas couché” (“We’re
not in bed yet” ).  Here is the link;

https://femmes.orange.fr/societe/videos/jonas-kaufmann-on-n-est-pas-couche-7-octobre-
2017-onpc-VID0000002sf8c.html

The live broadcast was aired on 7 October 2017 on the France 2 network (state-owned).
The video lasts just under 39 minutes.

Kaufmann’s French is excellent, his demeanor genial and humorous, and he adroitly and
ingratiatingly responds to all questions.

The host, the annoyingly grating (or gratingly annoying) Laurent Ruquier, fawns all over
Kaufmann, as does the panel, which includes Philippe Geluck, a Belgian humorist who is
very popular in France as well as in his native Belgium (Geluck is the bald panelist on the
right, seated right next to Kaufmann).  And rightly so, as it was quite a coup for France 2 to
snag Kaufmann’s appearance.  Can you imagine this on the “Tonight” show?

At 11:00, one of the panelists, a dark-haired lady (I think her name is Christine Angot),
says to Kaufmann, “A few minutes ago on this program we had a well known politician
sitting in that very chair talking about Europe.  [Kaufmann grins broadly.]  I must say that
listening to you talk about the French soul as expressed by French music and language is
the most eloquent argument for European union any one has ever made.”  At that point
another panelist (Yann Moix) interrupts and says, “Yes, here is a German who sings opera in
Italian and explains it in French to a Belgian, now that’s Europe for you!,” and everybody
laughs and applauds.

Musical highlights of the program During the program include Kaufmann signing “Pourquoi
me réveiller?” (not live, though), a brief excerpt of Kaufmann and Thomas Hampson in “Don
Carlo” at the Opéra-Bastille, and “Recondita Armonia.”

Not only is Kaufmann a great singer, he looks fantastic, is very articulate and intelligent,
and, as Ruquier points out, “he juggles, too!” (36:52-36:56).

I hope that at least some of you watch this video and enjoy it.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.