Subject: Re: Wrong-composer operas
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:25:12 -0400

I thought that the initial query implied the same title, not just story,
but this is also a wonderful theme (I evidently love opera parlor games!).

Of all the common themes treated by different composers, I'm probably most
fascinated by those about Orfeo and Faust.

For Orfeo, my favorites remain Monteverdi and Gluck. There are many other
treatments, Haydn's included. And Hoffmann's ORHEE AUX ENFERS is indeed
enjoyable in a different way.

For the Faust theme, Gounod, Berlioz ("legende dramatique"), and Boito's
MEFISTOFELE are my favorites, I believe all after Goethe (Boito of course
modified it with his own libretto). I find Busoni's version quite powerful
too.

Vesna

P.S. A water-nymph or mermaid motif is also in the UNDINE operas
by Lortzing and E.T.A. Hoffmann, though their source is different from the
Slavic myth behind RUSALKA (nonetheless there are some similarities in the
story line which I find fascinating in a cross-cultural sense).

P.P.S. I'm surprised nobody commented on THE MAGIC FLUTE in HD yesterday.