Subject: Re: Corelli and diminuendi (was Celeste Aida etc)
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 22:42:03 +0000

I totally agree with everything you say here. I do agree that the 67 Celeste Aida is a great performance, but I do think they cleaned up the first seconds of the final note, as Carlo seemed to have had a frog in his throat when I heard in live on the radio, the ending though is how I remembered it. Then I listened to the Nile and final duet with Carlo and Pricek from the 63 broadcast.. Their final duet has to be one of the very best ever. Price's voice in 63 was beyond beautiful and the music poses NO problem for her, at all. As one Italian critic supposedly said - Our dear Verdi could have written Aida for Leontyne  Price.