Subject: Re: Corelli and diminuendi (was Celeste Aida etc)
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:13:33 -0400

Les Mitnick wrote:

"On a personal level, I've never especially liked this particular tenor aria from the first time I
heard it as a teenager.  I haven't changed my mind.  I find it surprisingly unattractive and
most of the time the tenor sounds like he's bellowing.  What has made this aria so prized is
beyond my comprehension."

"Celeste Aida" is, potentially, an exquisite aria but an extraordinarily difficult one to sing
effectively.  First, the tenor must sing this technically gruelling piece shortly after he first
comes on stage and is not yet warmed up.  Second, the rising intervals of the vocal line can
sound awkward and clumsy if they are not sung with absolute vocal control and elegant
portamento (which they seldom are).  Finally, if, as usual, the final high note is bellowed, it
destroys Verdi's intended effect of the piece.  The aria is supposed to be a rather dreamy
reverie of love by the tenor, but it is rarely sung that way.  (Which is why, like you, I don't
generally like the aria as it is usually sung, as The Tenor's Big Moment.)

Bergonzi's 1973 recording (from the Philips album of complete Verdi tenor arias) is IMO the
most persuasive studio version on disc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AD4qJws_s

Granted, the diminuendo at the end is not perfect.  (Corelli is the paragon there.)  But
Bergonzi finds the poetry and reverie in the aria that (apart from the end) is absent from
Corelli's more muscular version.  In an earlier post I mentioned Bergonzi's singing of this
aria in the 1967 Met performance.  It can be heard here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnVhGgcVxAs

This is extraordinary singing by any standard.  Again, there is a bit of a bobble in the final
diminuendo, but Bergonzi then gets hold of the note, pianissimo, and it just dies away; the
postlude is played in blessed silence.  But obviously the audience was expecting the usual
fortissimo, ringing high B-flat at the end, and the applause is tepid and brief perhaps
because it didn't get what it was expecting.

When you compare Bergonzi's gentle singing with (for example) Del Monaco's stentorian
bellowing, you realize what is usually missing from most renditions of this aria.  Out of the
many performances of Aida I have heard live, in person, over the years, I have never heard
a completely satisfying performance of "Celeste Aida."  (Some very good, but all wanting in
some respect.)

MDW