Subject: Re: "Celeste Aida" High Note Compilation
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 09:52:26 -0700

Jose Soler - tenor from Uruguay.  He was the Chenier on Tebaldi's first
recording of the opera on Cetra.  He was highly regarded in South America
in the 50's.

BTW, let me second Bob's assessment of Franco Corelli.  At his best the
most thrilling tenor I ever heard live.  When he was on, the sound, the
ring, the security of that voice was absolutely jaw dropping.  And as Bob
says, his ability to sing a dimenuendo, piano, and swell the tone was
unmatched by any of his contemporaries or any since.  For about a decade
and half, he had amazing technical control over his instrument allayed with
that bronze sound.  He was a spinto, it wasn't the tenore di forza of Del
Monaco or Vickers, but still the most viscerally thrilling tenor I ever
heard.

Donald Il razaggo del West