Subject: Corelli and diminuendi (was Celeste Aida etc)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2017 14:00:56 +0000

 Franco Corelli did have the most ravishing and technically secure
diminuendo I ever heard from a male throat, but its best example
in my exprience was in "E lucevan le stelle", which is magnificent
on record but was even more stunning in the theater. I saw him in
the role at least a half dozen times and it never failed to bring gasps
from a large segment of the audience.

To be able to do that, after pulling off the greatest "Vittoria, vittoria"
imaginable, left me and many others speechless. His was an imperfect
talent but his best was the most thrilling I ever heard.

Bob