Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato -- "Purity of Heart"
From: Robert Cardinalli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Oct 2017 10:05:20 +0300

I thought we had all passed through the response phase to Albert's passing over.  At least, we should have by now.  Over the last 22 years I have been a member of this list, albeit an intermittently active one, I have seen this list used as a forum primarily for 1) news about events and goings-on in the world of opera; 2) reflecting and commenting on opera's evolution and historical performances in particular; 3) venting personal opinions, pro and con, on particular works, composers, performers and performances; 4) protracted personal attacks on other list members with varying views and opinions often in contravention to those of the person perpetrating the attack.

I admit in the past to have participated in all four categories of list engagement, including being in the direct line of Albert's fire.  In retrospect I wish I had had the self-confidence at the time to ignore his more virulent attacks on me.  Albert was motivated by a need to be recognized, and paying him no mind was the worst insult he could suffer.

To be virtually told you are unworthy of my time and effort to respond to you is about as demeaning to an insecure person with an inflated ego as one can get.

No one on this list to my knowledge has cast any doubt on Albert's musical knowledge and his ability to pen page after impressive page, footnoted and referenced, in support of his opinions.

Virtually everyone acknowledges that Albert had some significant personality issues that impeded his ability to come down from his exalted level of knowledge to our level.  And this was the rub.  He obviously longed to be seen as a great musical sage and teacher for our times.  He could engage well with folks who approached him from that vantage; those who did not were subsequently treated to his brand of personal insult.  I once tried to meet him half-way, i.e. he wrote something about a particular opera, and I told him how much I appreciated his insight and knowledge, but that there was one point I did not quite agree with him on--I think it was that the second act was too long and threw the work a little off balance.  That was the red flag for Albert, whose tone up to that point had been reasonably civil, to refer to me as a "flaming ignoramus" and other choice castigations.  Intolerance for others' views is not a virtue.

I do share Mr. Rideout's comment that the aforementioned aspect of Albert's personality does remind one of Trump's.  Both are insecure beings intolerant of anyone with divergent views from their own.  Albert was talented and knowledgeable; Trump is neither--Trump does have money and power, however.  On that basis, Trump is able to swing his vitriolic bat with abandon.  Both persons are wildly insecure, but having all that dough is what gives Trump the edge:  "at the end of the day I don't give a flying F what you say about me, because I will go home to count my money and houses, and you will home to scrub your toilet."

For both Albert and Trump, contempt was the logical response to make up for any personal deficiencies.

Robert Cardinalli
Kathmandu, Nepal