Subject: Re: Albert Innaurato -- "Purity of Heart"
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 18 Oct 2017 19:54:40 -0400

How would we know what Neil Rishoi had written in his problematic
eulogy of Albert Innaurato if GCR hadn't submitted it?    Who has
read it anywhere else?  Here we are lining up with a firing squad aimed
at the messenger.  As it happens, I agree with some of that messenger's
reservations because I just recently read what Laurence Gilman said
about Cosima Wagner's sacrificial idolatry of the "Titan" to whom she
had devoted much of her life; Mr. Rishoi's words concerning the genius
whom  he considers Mr. Innaurato to have been, are no less effusive.  If I
think that is too much does it mean I am guilty of  unseemly disrespect
toward the recently deceased?  Considering the defensive stand I often took
in the past against Albert's indignant Opera-L detractors, I think not.

In the interest of introducing some perspective and balance to the
subject of idolatry, genius, and purity of heart, I recommend Gilman's
nineteen page essay, "Wagner And The Present Day" from his 1937
book, WAGNER'S OPERAS.

dtmk

dtmk