Subject: Re: Met IT Dept
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2017 19:30:55 -0400

I initially found the new (some years ago) Met website infuriating, particularly the calendar.
However, a kind Lister suggested that I try a different browser, so I started opening the
website in Chrome rather than Explorer, which I had been using.  With Chrome, clicking on
the calendar button in the upper right of the home page brings up the calendar - operas and
casts - for the entire month.  I have no problems at all using it, and it is easy to check ticket
availabililty.  (Also instructive - and alarming - to see all the empty seats for many
performances.)  Using the calendar in Internet Explorer, on the other hand, brings up that
stupid and annoying list format.  So, try Chrome.  (Firefox also works.  I have not tried
others.)

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I also find certain aspects of the website annoying.  I have
never understood, for example, why Met on Demand is under the "Season" heading on the
home page, instead of its own separate heading on the home page, given that almost all of
the stuff in Demand has nothing to do with the current season.  The cascading pictures are
likewise annoying.

On another (related) matter: there may be copyright or ownership reasons why the Met did
this, but I have always regretted that the Met years ago took down a page they used to
have as part of its archives that had old intermissions features - e.g., talks by Boris
Goldovsky and M. Owen Lee - that one could listen to.  That was a cornucopia of information
and archival interest.  I am glad that I downloaded a lot of it before it vanished.

MDW