Subject: Farrar on Welitsch
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2017 19:04:44 -0400

Shortly after Ljuba Welitsch's sensational Met debut as Salome in 1949, Geraldine Farrar, then
retired in Connecticut, took up pen and wrote to the New York times to express her
enthusiasm for the performance.  She had some priceless comments on Welitsch's *zaftig*
figure which skinny singers today might take to heart:

"In beholding the curvaceous and arresting Salome of Ljuba Welitsch, I would recommend our
young singers to take note of such physical attributes as allow this singer to surmount with
ease the terrific vocal demands and that were as freshly effective at the finale of the opera as
upon her first sensational entrance.

"No voice comes to full-bodied glory on a Hollywood diet, nor are lean thighs the safe
caryatids upon which to rear the edifice of beautiful and enduring singing."

MDW