Subject: Re: Met IT Dept
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:06:03 -0400

Mr. Liebert wrote (in part):

"... their website is a disgrace.  When one clicks on the calendar, the screen turns mostly
white with only the names of the operas and their starting times displayed for however
many days remain in the month . . . What idiot designed this, and what idiot approved of
it?"

* * * * *

Yikes!

Initially I was not crazy about the Met’s web page design, but now I find it to be rather
useful and, like everything on the internet these days, a work in progress.

I’m not really certain I understand the criticism of the calendar.  It is a calendar and shows
the entire month, with the remainder of the month’s performances listed in the appropriate
date/box.

Additionally, one can change the calendar view to “All Events” – which eliminates the
standard calendar and brings up instead a vertical listing of the upcoming performances
and, as one’s mouse rolls over the date, a photograph of the work(s) to be performed that
date, along with the cast list, how many performances remain available, a clickable way to
purchase tickets and other options.

For example, I hover the cursor over “La Boheme” on the 19th and it shows a production
photo, an 8 o’clock curtain, cast listing, that there are 10 remaining performances, and a
“purchase tickets” button.  If I just click on the “La Boheme” photo, it opens up a plethora
of information options, synopsis, a copy of the actual program, what languages the Met
titles provide for the performance, bios of the cast, an estimated run time (2 hrs, 55
minutes), and the length of each act and intermission.  Right there also may be found
production photos, information on the genesis of the opera, videos, the history of the opera
at the Met.

They provide an amazing amount of information and, not to mention the links to a number
of useful sites, none more so than the Met Archives, which I use at least several times a
day.  I'm not being judgmental, but certainly can't fathom how (or why) anyone would
charge the Met's web site as being "a disgrace."

p.