Subject: Re: FW: Calleja's Pollione review by Washington Post and an octogenarian Opera-L poster
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Oct 2017 21:11:02 -0400

Mr. De Virgilio,

Let me repeat myself one last time:  My original post on hearing acuity was
differently on this List."  It was not in response to your post on Calleja,
nor your previous posts on the topic, none of which, in fact, I had read at
the time of my original post.  There are many others on this list who refer
(frequently) to performances they attended in the 1950s and 1960s; the
likelihood that these individuals have experienced hearing loss is quite high.

And this is the last of my time I am wasting on this.

DK

PS  I did not catch the "rogue note" for the simple reason that I wasn't
listening to the performance at that point.

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:02:22 +0000, Miguel A De Virgilio
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Washington Post Review of Norma opening night (Anne Midgette)
>

>> I have usually been a fan of Joseph Calleja, the tenor, and Monday he got
off to a glorious, robust start.

>>But his voice soon got a little tired and became increasingly nasal, so
there was a huge contrast

>>from the beginning to end of Act I, though he found his way again in his
scene at the end of Act II.

>Miguel's review
>

>>>His voice sounded generic , His best contribution came  toward the end of
Act II  "E  troppo tardi.."

>>>BTW I'm I the only who noticed his off pitch note ending the "Me protegge..."
>
>>>He landed "a mile"  (flat)from the written note.
>

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Conclusions
>
>MS. Midgette noted that his voice became nasal. A nasally placed voice can
generate little harmonics.
>Hence, it  tends to sound generic as I noted in my original posting.
>Also , she and I agreed  the Mr Calleja's  best s contribution, besides his
first aria, was towards the end of Act II.
>The " rogue" bad note  identified by the New York Post reviewer and a
prominent member of this
>forum ( send to me by private e-mail) was an A-Flat rather than the written
B-Flat