Subject: FW: Calleja's Pollione review by Washington Post and an octogenarian Opera-L poster
From: Miguel A De Virgilio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Oct 2017 23:02:22 +0000

> Washington Post Review of Norma opening night (Anne Midgette)

> I have usually been a fan of Joseph Calleja, the tenor, and Monday he got off to a glorious, robust start.

>But his voice soon got a little tired and became increasingly nasal, so there was a huge contrast

>from the beginning to end of Act I, though he found his way again in his scene at the end of Act II.

Miguel's review

>>His voice sounded generic , His best contribution came  toward the end of Act II  "E  troppo tardi.."

>>BTW I'm I the only who noticed his off pitch note ending the "Me protegge..."

>>He landed "a mile"  (flat)from the written note.

Conclusions

MS. Midgette noted that his voice became nasal. A nasally placed voice can generate little harmonics.
Hence, it  tends to sound generic as I noted in my original posting.
Also , she and I agreed  the Mr Calleja's  best s contribution, besides his first aria, was towards the end of Act II.
The " rogue" bad note  identified by the New York Post reviewer and a prominent member of this
forum ( send to me by private e-mail) was an A-Flat rather than the written B-Flat

Thanks

Miguel de Virgilio
PS DK did you catch the "rogue note"