Subject: Nell Rankin's Amneris - and a Milanov Question
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 11 Oct 2017 14:40:16 -0400

I have been listening to a Met broadcast of "Aida," March 8, 1952, with Milanov, Del
Monaco, Rankin, and Warren.  The big surprise for me was Nell Rankin's Amneris, which is
really excellent.  Rankin was one of the singers I heard often when I was young, as she
sang a great deal with the San Antonio opera.  I hear her as Amneris, Azucena, Marina and
Brangaene.  I never liked her that much.  Even at a young age, I thought her voice was one
of those with a quavery vibrato that obscured the actual pitch she was singing (something
that has always bugged me in any singer).  Also, I just didn't like the way she looked and
moved on stage.  Those young impressions have remained with me and I have never sought
out Rankin's broadcast recordings to see if I needed to re-assess.  (My early opinion was not
improved by seeing Rankin as Gutrune in 1975 - an odd bit of casting, I thought.)

Well, her 1952 Amneris is a really fine piece of work - a beautiful clear voice with a good top
(with no quavery vibrato!), good characterization and musicianship.  Her voice doesn't really
have the heft needed for the latter part of the Judgment Scene but she is close enough to
get the job done impressively.

Milanov sings gloriously as Aida, far and away the best broadcast performance of her in this
role that I have heard.  The sound is drop-dead gorgeous, phrases are floated, and she nails
the high C in "O patria mia" without screaming it, although it is forte and she doesn't linger
on the note.  Incidentally, for those who heard Milanov live as Aida, I have a question: did
she ever sing the high C with a floated pianissimo like she does on her 1953 recital
recording?  In every broadcast performance I have heard (even the early ones in the 40s),
she approaches the note hastily at forte, sometimes with a screamy quality, and does not
linger or float and the effect is often rather graceless.  Was that gorgeous rendition on disc
for the studio only or could she do it live?

Del Monaco is stentorian - exciting, but hardly subtle or graceful, all warrior and no lover.
Warren sounds like he is phoning his performance in.  Cleva is competent but a bit dull.

MDW