Subject: The Hansel and Gretel recording with Moffo
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 15:56:30 -0400

Moffo in that recording sounds too much like a woman for the part, and the tone is unsettled, as it lies where her voice was imploding at that time. Hansel is very much a mid-range role, even though sopranos can sing it; Seefried (past her best) and Grummer (a delight) recorded it.

But ...

The rest of the recording is delightful, especially Ludwig's Witch and Donath's Gretel.

I do enjoy the Karajan recording, especially the conducting, but I always need to get used to Schwarzkopf (some moments are heavenly, like the Prayer, but others sound affected), and the Witch of one Else Schurhoff (sp?)f, a traditional reading, but too much cackle and shtick, not enough voice. Grummer is, as I said above, a delight.

Mezzomaniac