Subject: Re: High frequency hearing loss
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:21:48 -0400

As I said in a previous post, I was not targetting anyone.  One's experience
of decades of attending opera, however enviable, does not obviate the
statistical likelihood (increased for men, in comparison to women) that
one's hearing acuity, especially at higher frequencies, might deteriorate
with age.  Hearing acuity varies among individuals right from birth, and
unlike some other characteristics it does not improve over time.  How many
people on this list have actually had their hearing tested even once?  How
does one know that what one hears at age 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 is the same as
what he/she heard at age 20?  With any luck, I will get to be well advanced
in years myself (though I hope to be less crotchety than some on this
list!), and I will certainly continue to monitor my hearing.
DK

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:32:16 -0400, william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 13:30:49 +0000, Miguel A De Virgilio
>
>>You exposed your ignorance in basic audiometry. The spoken voice
frequency content is
>in the low range. The  loss it is the most common occurrence among  the
elderly resulting in
>their inability to discriminate the words.<
>
>Well, not exactly.
>
>Spoken voice is indeed in the lower range, but consonants, particularly
sibilants, which are
>essential for being able to hear conversational speech, are high range.
*That* is why