Subject: Re: "Maria". Really?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:55:52 -0500

From all that I've seen and read about Callas (including tons of interviews), it's my assumption that she truly loved and appreciated her genuine fans and followers.  As the years went by, of course, she developed this reputation for being a tiger who could explode on a dime.  She never trusted the media, and she was known to yell and be nasty to the papparazzi, who dogged her in Europe all the time.  Of course, La Callas became an "A lister" and a tabloid celebrity.

Her disputes with opera companies (San Francisco, the Met, the process server in Chicago, the Rome walkout, etc) put her in the newspapers all the time.  The breakup of her marriage and the Onassis stuff put the final seal on her public persona.  She was also a woman of great exotic attraction and dressed accordingly.  As she herself said in an interview, "I became too famous for my own good".  What did she expect?  When you have friends like Princess Grace and Prince Ranier of Monaco, Prince Ali Khan, Liz Taylor and Richard Burton, Omar Schariff, Marlene Dietrich, and countless other A listers, this is what happens.  A whole lot of good it did her!