Subject: Re: Age Discrimination Alert
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 10:27:26 -0500

For this senior citizen hearing loss was undetectable at first. But after a while I realized that I was starting to miss a lot of sounds, especially in the high register.

An appointment with an audiologist (see below for a warning) confirmed that I was a good candidate for hearing aids. After being presented with the options I opted for the best ones I could afford - a wise choice. I’ve had them for three years now and they’ve become such a part of my life I’m barely aware that they’re in place. They’re not perfect; loud background environments such as restaurants can present a problem although there’s a simply adjustment I can make that alleviates the problem a bit. For listening to music, live or recorded, they are a huge improvement. One drawback is that I have to remove them when I’m listening with a headset.

Warning: the hearing aid business is loaded with unethical practices and practitioners. My advice is to avoid the myriad advertisements we see in the daily newspapers, most of which are on the same level as used-car businesses. The best thing to do is to work through an ear, nose and throat medical office. My ENT’s office has an audiology department that is staffed with PhD audiologists who are top quality professionals.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:52 AM, Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I am a 'senior citizen'. I haven't noticed any loss of sensitivity to higher frequencies but who
> knows? What I have notice is Increased Sensitivity to volume! I hate loud sounds like sirens,
> smoke alarms and the high-pitched screaming of small children, especially in resonant spaces
> like locker rooms. :-)

“You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.”

—Motto at Jessica Mitford Memorial Site