Subject: Boston's "Maid of Orleans" Video Highlight Reel
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 09:45:19 -0400

A few weeks ago I wrote about an incredible performance of Tchaikovsky’s rarely performed
“The Maid of Orleans” from Odyssey Opera in Boston.  Although I’ve heard the opera a number
of times, perhaps because I’d never before experienced it live, the Odyssey performance has
remained with me constantly that night – and also because it was sheer magic.
This is only a “highlight reel” so to speak of the night, but it does capture much of the energy
and the amazing performances from Gil Rose and his company, most notably Kate Aldrich in
the title role.  Even the death scene, (in the video shorn of her singing) Aldrich’s Joan is
caught up in a religious ecstasy that was palpable and riveting.

I wish more of my favorite music had been included (Joan's call to arms, the big "hymn," etc.)
this does spark the memories.

Oh, what I’d give to see the Met, with everything at its disposal, launch a production of this
too little known work.  It's long overdue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=4BBb9-HpkZI

p.