Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 07:58:15 -0400

One of the most interesting aspects of this list is how defensive folks get when their favorite singers are perceived to have been slighted—and yet it is often true that the same people who will defend unto death their favorite singers will also spare no pen lashing in describing a voice / technique / stage presence they don’t like.

(And yes, there is hyperbole in the above statement).

I know that is the nature of the art but it also appears that some people are not content to allow others to enjoy a voice or presence they do not.  And the disparaging is never done in half measures:  we have this write announce to the universe that singer A is the prima diva of the universe and then take condescending pity on anyone who doesn’t recognize this essential truth.  We have our friend from South America who metaphorically spits upon people who simply can’t see HIS essential truth.

We get folks who rant and rave over parochial singers as if they were clearly better in all ways than the international singers;  we have folks who rant and rave over YouTube videos of singers and declare them to be the next big thing.

We have folks who simply can’t stand some singers who have made successful careers and seem to take that success as a failure of mankind to recognize essential truth.

(And yes, there is hyperbole in all the above statements)

The essential truth of life is whatever our minds and hearts and ears tell us and it does no good to demean someone else who has a different mind, heart, and ears.  For many, Calleja’s voice is an acquired taste never fully acquired;  to other, it is an obvious BIG DEAL.  The thing is, if someone doesn’t like a singer, be it Callegja or even the current reigning queen of all sopranos, Radvanovsky, it’s quite all right.  The fact one person doesn’t like a singer you happen to adore doesn’t really insult you as a person, doesn’t really call into question your good taste, doesn’t really require a sometimes nasty response.  It isn’t really about you at all.  It is about each of us having our own essential truths.

A personal opinion about an artist doesn’t equal a personal insult.  Sometimes, try letting it go and be happy.

(The below is just an example of the issue and is not meant to be see as judgmental in any way)

Happy hyperbole!