Subject: Die Ägyptische Helena
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Oct 2017 14:54:32 -0400

I listened recently to the Met revival of this Strauss opera ten years ago
and thought it was a terrific piece.  Why did it never catch on?  The
omniscient oyster is a little weird, but no worse than some of what goes on
in 'Frau'.  Is it simply too hard to cast the title role?  The commentary
noted that in the first Met performances in the late 20's Jeritza, for whom
the part was conceived, declined to sing 'Zweite Brautnacht' uncut.  (Which
may suggest how Lehmann managed to sing the Dyer's Wife at the premiere of
'Frau'.  I am looking through a 416 page piano score of that opera that was
used in major theaters, and the part is studded with B flats and naturals,
and of course the final C.  It is also marked up with numerous cuts that
remove much of the most high-lying music -- one cut section is so long it
has a paperclip holding the excised pages.)

But in any event, I liked the "A.H" a lot and would be pleased to hear it in
the theater myself.

David Kubiak