Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: deutschkurzhaar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Oct 2017 01:07:46 -0400

Good lord, I wasn't targetting anyone.  I don't usually read all the
opera-L posts (I generally only scan the archive version) and I
hadn't read your previous posts referred to in your response.

I am aware of where the spoken voice lies in the audible (to human)
range; that was not the point.  It is a fact that, as people age,
loss of hearing at higher frequencies is common, especially in men
(compared to women of the same age group).  Higher frequencies are
where the overtones reside and they are a large part of what makes
one singer's voice distinct from another.

DK

At 06:46 PM 10/9/2017, Miguel A De Virgilio wrote:
>Evidently your post was targeted to me because of my recent
>reference to hearing Del Monaco live in 1958 .
>You missed  my previous posts mentioning me hearing  live Carlo
>Galeffi  and Gigli in 1951.
>Those new dates make me a dinosaur?
>You exposed your ignorance in basic audiometry. The spoken
>voice  frequency content is in the low range. The
>  loss it is the most common occurrence among  the elderly resulting
> in  their inability to discriminate the words.
>Moreover, I wasn't' complaining  about Calleja's voice size. As a
>matter of fact,  in  my review of his Afredo
>in L.A.  Opera a  couple of  years back, I  mentioned being
>impressed by the large size of his voice.
>Miguel

---