Subject: Re: 1st act of Norma in HD
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 22:22:53 -0400

Donald wrote:

"In the early 1980s, the staff of the Opera Company of Philadelphia called Pavarotti
(probably out of his presence) “Looch”.  Then there’s “the Pav”."

Freni referred to him as "Lucianone" (i.e., Fat Luciano or Big Luciano).  I also heard him
referred to in some quarters as Big Lucy and The Fat Man.  It was all affectionate and I
doubt that he minded.

I don't share this aversion to nicknames for opera singers.  To me, it is a sign of the fact
that they are well-known and attract attention, even when it is unflattering (e.g., Gheorghiu
as "La Petite Draculette" or Guleghina as "Ghoul-aghina").  In that case of Radvanovsky, I
refer to her as "La Rad" or "Radvan" out of convenience, not disrespect (I think she is a
great singer).  I will continue to refer to her that way around here, so Bob and others, avert
your eyes from my postings on her.

MDW