Subject: Re: 1st act of Norma in HD
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 22:12:18 -0400

Private:

Actually, I think most people, in everyday conversation, refer to the President by his last
name - e.g., "Bush" or "Obama."  Broadcasters, reporters, and members of the Chattering
Classes generally refer to the President as "President Bush" or "President Obama" or just
"the President."  In my observation, Trump is generally not referred to any differently -
either "Trump" or "President Trump" or "the President," depending on who is speaking and
in what context.  More unflattering epithets are sometimes attached.  But let us not forget
the deep loathing the Left had for Bush 43.  I don't think the leftist commentariat was any
more respectful of Bush than they are of Trump.  (Trump just has more people who dislike
him on the Right than Bush did.  Count me one.)  But I often heard people refer to Obama
as "Barack Obama" without meaning any disrespect.

Cheers -
G.

P.S. - Glad we came to a kind-of agreement on Sondra's Norma!  You probably saw I walked
back some of my comments in light of the sound issues.  And believe me, I yield to no one
in my conviction that she is a truly great singer, certainly the greatest spinto soprano of our
time.  Well, maybe along with Netrebko.  But Sondra has better coloratura chops - which
was why I was a bit disappointed in her "Casta Diva."  I had such high expectations - a
testament to my high opinion of La Rad.