Subject: Re: 1st act of Norma in HD
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 18:52:10 -0400

Hi, Y'all!
    Nicknames, to me, unless they are obviously  intended to be ironic or
demeaning, are a signal of affection.  I really  rather enjoy being called
"Dennis the Menace" by nearly all the people I  know.
    Thus nicknames opera fans develop for singers  celebrate their love for
these singers.  And when used between well known  opera lovers, such as
those on this list, they also celebrate our love for opera  as our common bond.
 I enjoy referring to "Vicki D," "Pippo," "Nebs," or  "Leonie" to people
who understand what I mean and who love these singers  similarly.
    In my view, such nicknames IN NO WAY infringe on  political
correctness, nor do they demean beloved singers.  On the  contrary:  isn't is nice, as
opera lovers, that we really do have a jargon  all our own that outsiders
are not readily privy to?
    Now I can think of instances where opera fans HAVE  used nicknames
demeaningly, one case involving a prominent Mozart soprano of the  '60's,
another involving a prominent Verdi soprano of the '70's and '80's,  and still
another involving a prominent NYC-based tenor who was a bit
stature-challenged.  In all three cases, word play on the sounds  of their real names were
involved.  I see no excuse for the PUBLIC use of  either of these nicknames or
others similar, but used  privately between friends thoroughly familiar with
the careers of these  singers, the use became almost affectionate.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 10/9/2017 8:45:14 A.M. Central Daylight Time,