Subject: HD sound
From: Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 8 Oct 2017 13:27:05 -0400

I haven't attended too many HDs, and not this one, but I experience them as way louder than
what one would experience in the opera house - more like a movie. I actually take my
earplugs along just in case. At one performance I mentioned this to the sound person whom I
sought out and he said he has a sound meter and specific settings from the Met and he walks
around the auditorium checking during every HD. If the signal is indeed compressed as JE says
I don't see how they can call it HD. I think they are too loud and it bothers me that the sound
doesn't originate from the mouth of the person singing. It sounds sort of like sitting in Family
Circle where all the sound merges, but the visual is like sitting in the first row orchestra where
the sound is very directional.