Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: Robert Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 17:26:54 -0400

In the first video Del Monaco sings a sustained A FLAT - at no point does he
sing a B flat in the entire scene, less so a High C. I disagree that Del
Monaco was not in his prime - the rest of his voice is incredible and all his
trademark "smalto" is there...

On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 15:46:55 -0500, Les Mitnick
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The first video is noted as being sung in 1967.  By that time, it was
getting rather late for del Monaco, but that long held B flat is still
something to hear.  I would assume that the second video comes from an
earlier time.  He drops out, lets the orchestra do the introduction to the
ending, and then takes a big whacking lunge at the top C, which he pulls
off reasonably well.

>Another great version of this cabaletta and ending can be heard from
Franco Corelli on the 1960 Callas recording under Serafin.  Corelli sings
EVERYTHING and the top C shines like a beacon.   Still another but very
different approach is taken by John Osborn on the Bartoli recording.  Of
course it's a smaller voice, but Osborn embellishes the cabaletta very
interestingly, and I believe he even slides up to a few top Ds before he
concludes the aria on the top C.

>It's really a hell of an aria and the cabaletta is a real barn-burner.
>
>> On October 9, 2017 at 11:43 AM Robert Cohen wrote:
>>

>>     Funny by how much perception of a voice can differ. I was in the
house for
>>     opening night, the 3rd October and for the HD.
>>
>>     In these performances I was impressed by the sheer power and
beauty of
>>     his voice and was quite flabbergasted when he took the written High
>>     in "Meco al altar.." which is a devilishly difficult note on an I vowel.
Many
>>     tenors I have heard live in this role leave this note out.
>>
>>     If I had to nitpick it is true that on the first night the optional B flat
>>     crowning the cabaletta was a tad cloudy. However on the 3rd he
sung it
>>     with clarion beauty and on the HD he decided not to sing it at all and
sung
>>     the written A flat instead, much like Del Monaco does in the video
below. I
>>     have no idea why he left it out as he sung a beautiful High C in Meco
and
>>     he sung two interpolated B naturals with Sandra as the opera
progressed.
>>     Perhaps he felt a momentary uncomfortableness in the throat?
>>
>>     Meanwhile here is a video of Del Monaco not singing the B flat - not
even
>>     the written one by Bellini on the word L' Empio-
>>
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-Er0c2ZU8
>>
>>     Here Del Monaco takes the B flat but omits the WRITTEN B flat Bellini
>>     writes -
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263sEWtKIbI
>>
>>     Not comparing the two tenors of course but even a legendary great
like Del
>>     Monaco, with perhaps a voice more ideal to Pollione than Callejjas,
doesn't
>>     sound completely comfortable in a Cabaletta that to be completely
honest,
>>     is no great shakes.

mailto:[log in to unmask] .org
>>     containing only the words: SIGNOFF OPERA-L
>>     To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message to
>>     [log in to unmask] mailto:[log in to unmask] .org
containing only the words: SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
>>     Modify your settings:
http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html<hr style="height: 0; border:
0; border-top: 1px solid #aaa; margin: 8px 0;">

>[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L
NOMAIL