Subject: Re: Calleja's Polione Met 10/7/21
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 9 Oct 2017 17:19:51 -0400

I expressed my displeasure with Calleja's first scene in the opening night
broadcast -- perhaps too vehemently, since I did not hear the rest and he
evidently got better.  (To my ears, however, the role is not in general
congenial to his style of voice.)  In any event, it is never said but I
think true that for a tenor to make his first appearance in the opera with
'Meco all' altar' plus cabaletta is every bit as daunting as the soprano's
'Casta diva', and makes 'Celeste Aida' seem easy.

David Kubiak